Dental implants cannot be placed with just once procedure you will need to see your dentist several times in order to successfully complete the implantation process. Before heading into the office, you should get to know about the types of implants you can receive as well as the connectors used to keep your teeth in place.
Types of Implants
· Endosteal: Endosteal, or Endosseous, implants are common and used to replace missing teeth with dentures or bridges.
· Subperiosteal: Subperiosteal implants are not often used today, as they are more common for individuals that do not have enough bone height to hold implants in place.
· Single-Stage: Single-stage implant procedures involve placing longer implants into the jaw, allowing the top of the implant to remain visible. Once it has healed, the abutment can be installed and the implant does not need to be re-exposed as it would in a two-stage procedure.
· Two-Stage: Two-stage implant procedures are common and involve the dentist placing an implant in the jawbone, where it will heal for several weeks. Once it has been healed, the dentist must expose the implant by performing a minor surgical procedure before placing the abutment and restoration.
Just as there are different types of dental implants san antonio patients can have different connectors, or abutments, as well. There are three main types of abutments, which are internal hex, external hex, and internal octagon.
· Internal Hex: These abutments are shaped like a hexagon and are placed in the implant head.
· External Hex: This type of abutment is also in a hexagon shape and it is placed on top of the implant head.
· Internal Octagon: This abutment is shaped as an octagon and is placed inside the implant head, where the restorative tooth, bridge, or denture is screwed in.
Implants are not one size fits all there are different types of implants and abutments as well as restorations that can be used to ensure supreme comfort and optimal healing. Your oral health can be greatly improved by the introduction of dental implants.